~ Become a MN Iron Ranger Host Family~
Make a difference … a Billet experience!
Billets are host families who invite junior players into their homes to be part of their family during the hockey season. The billet family provides housing and support to young men who have moved away from home to pursue their dreams of playing the game they love. Billets are an integral part of the hockey league.
Junior league players range from 16-21, and a majority of these players leave home for the first time to come to Hoyt Lakes. They look to their billet families to provide not only a roof over their heads, but also a comfortable and safe family atmosphere. The players take part in many aspects of normal life with their billets, including family meals and taking on active “big brother” roles with their younger billet brothers and sisters.
Billet parent’s server as authority figures, role models, and extended family to their assigned players, and players rely on their billet parents for help while transitioning to a new community. The efforts of billet families make a significant difference in the lives of young men who have left home for the opportunity to play at a more elite level.
The unique bond families form with their players often last a lifetime. Some players suit up for the Rangers for multiple years, often staying with the same family throughout their time on the team. Billets are a vital part of a team’s success, both on and off the ice.
All potential host families must participate in an in-home interview. This includes a tour of your home and completing a brief questionnaire. The attached application helps to ensure the best fit possible between family and player. The billet family is compensated $325 monthly for housing and grocery expenses; this is to offset the expenses incurred by hosting a player. Players will provide their own transportation and cell phones. If you have questions, please contact Melissa Lamppa at 218-780-4297 or [email protected]
Thank you for your interest. All information will be kept confidential and all applicants are required to agree to a criminal background check.
Host Family Responsibilities:
- Furnished Bedroom
- Preparation and Availability of Nutritious Meals
- Communicate with their player regarding any rules, curfews, chores, etc.
- Having the player feel at home and part of the family is very important
Host Family Benefits:
- 2 Season tickets for each MN Iron Rangers home games
- Monetary compensation of $325/month to cover room and board
- An amazing experience of having a MN Iron Rangers player stay in your home and building memories and relationships to last a lifetime!
Player expectations for billeting:
- Respect your host families’ household rules
- Adhere to curfews set by Coach and/or billet family
- Notify billet family of your whereabouts at all times
- Keep your personal space clean (bedroom/bathroom, etc.)
- Pay your billet fee on time (post-dated checks are to be provided to billet coordinator at the beginning of the season)
- Communicate with host family and/or billet coordinator; this will help to make sure you are comfortable and successful as a member of the Rangers team
- Serve as a positive role model for younger children in the household and the community
To apply, please download the document below.